Thursday, July 29, 2010

Blog One - Monkey Mia

‘What an amazing first couple of days that we have had since we have moved on from the cattle station. For starters, it is not as cold in the evening.


Our first trip was to Shark Bay, where we arrived at a town called Denham. We found a Top Tourist Park and because Bernarbara was needing a break we decided to stop there for the night. The owner was sat outside the office on his bike selling fresh cooked crabs for 3 dollars. We snagged a couple from him for dinner in the evening. I think they made up our van site out of a random area of space that our van could fit and it happens to be right next to the Fish table. A couple men were there cleaning and gutting the fish that they had caught from the day. While we sat there awkwardly in our van in the middle of everything they called over to us offering us a fish from the batch that they had caught….Yes PLEASE! One of our neighbours saw this and giggled to herself. She came over to us and started to talk to us. She was an older lady, I soon realized that everyone was older. I believe we are the youngest people in the campground by quite a few years, actually. These older people are known as ‘Grey Nomads’ which is our version of the ‘Snow Birds’, or Britain’s version of “The Grey-haired Brigade”. They travel to the warmth in the winter. The high light of where we were sleeping was that Bernarbara was parked right next to the beach. This was the best place to crack open our crabs and watch the sunset. I do not think I have had a yummier crab in my life, so sweet and juicy. Later on we went to the kitchen and cooked up our fish with some yummy Regan’s Ridge oil. I have to say, we were quite spoiled for dinner that night.

This morning we headed off to the famous, Monkey Mia, home of the dolphins. Monkey Mia is a very popular place to visit because every morning they have wild dolphins come in for a little snack while tourists stand around and watch and take photos. We got to see the last feeding and the dolphin who came in was named Puck. She is 30 years old and has been coming to Monkey Mia since she was young. She has many of her own that are frequent to MM. Now, the exciting part! Usually they pick 5 people out of the crowd to feed a dolphin, knowing my luck I didn’t get my hopes up for feeding her. Well, not only did I get to feed her I was the first one asked to feed her. Unfortunately, David decided to play around with the beach bag before looking up to take a photo, so when he finally looked up I was already coming back….No Photo. L Still really cool though. We spent the rest of the day walking around the reserve. We did a little bush trail where we had a few run-ins with Emus. Usually on the farm we were used to them running off as soon as you got near them. Not these ones. We had to keep our distance. We would be walking and then all of a sudden right next to us we would see one eating, camouflaged in with the bush. We also saw a mum with 4 little ones. So cute, don’t worry, we definitely kept our distance with that one.

I am now sat on a picnic table overlooking the beach at monkey mia waiting for the sun to set, hoping that I will get one last glimpse of dolphins coming up to the shore, playing around. I know I will sleep good tonight, my skin is also tired from the amount of sun it has had today, luckily we are not burnt lobsters.

Time for sunset photos,

Holly and David

P.S. I have photos to put up but the internet is not allowing me to.  Maybe another time.  Check back again.

No comments:

Post a Comment