Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Guess I'll Go Eat Worms.

Since we have found a way for my other flat mates to connect to the network I am on our internet has slowed down a lot. It is worse than Dial Up. I usually cannot connect to anything. I am finally getting an opportunity to update my blog because the page is loading for once.

Most evenings I spend at home. Since I don't really have money to go do things. But one night I took the bus to Coogee to go visit people. It was a full bus and then man that was sitting with me had a backpack that kept hitting me and he was really squishing me. So I was kind of getting annoyed with him. About 15 minutes in he asks me if I know the stop for the University. I could not help him as I only used this bus ride to go to the Beach. He then started talking to me (obviously he noticed my accent) and I found out that he is a teacher in the deep southern part of Sydney. At the moment he was a casual teacher working with special needs. I told him my story and he really encouraged me. I was so excited that I had met him that day because I was pretty down about the whole teaching thing and was actually ready to just give up trying.

The past week has been a bit stressful. I am glad that I have friends here to keep me sane. I have been doing the same old. Applying for jobs online but I also spent a couple days going out and handing out resumes. EVERYWHERE...retail, restaurants, pubs, etc... Nobody is hiring at the moment...surprise surprise. The ones that are..I haven't heard from. After one of my days of handing out resumes I came home and noticed the car with the teach.nsw.com.au logo was pulling up and the man was getting out so I took this opportunity to go and ask him how the heck one actually can start teaching here. He was more than happy to help me and told me that he was actually my next door neighbour and if I needed any help I could just come over and knock. WONDERFUL!

So, I got the ball rolling, after unsuccessful wild goose chases to find a JP I got a hold of my wonderful friend, Russell Grove. I went over to his office yesterday and he signed everything for me! We are also getting together on Friday for lunch! I will have to remember when friday is as I really have a hard time keeping track of my days here.

The nights are short here. The sun rises at about 6:30 everyday and sets at like 5:30. The past few weeks have been cold and rainy but yesterday and today it has been warm.. But when I say warm its like 21-23. Sydney isn't the warmest here. I have lost my tan and it will only get colder here. The average temperature is Sydney in the winter time is 10. So do not worry everyone. I may have enjoyed hot weather but now it is your turn. I thought I would be able to handle it being a tough Canadian and all but my body has definitely gotten used to this weather! Unfortunately, I only brought summer clothes here. I did not plan for the colder weather. Haha.

Hopefully this blog isn't too long for you! I think I will go to an internet place tonight and try to put my pictures up for you as they are long over do!

I'm off to Darling Harbour to meet up with Amanda for Coffee...

Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment