Thursday, October 8, 2009

I have lots of mango trees....in my backyard.

There is a song that I love that I learned of being over here by Angus and Julia Stone called Mango Tree. It talks about having a mango tree in the backyard...and well..I have about 60 mango trees in my backyard at the moment. Unfortunately, they will not be ready by the time I leave to go back to Sydney.. Boo.

This week was pretty basic..nothing to spectacular happened. Chris and I spent a few days in the cool room labelling and jarring while the guys spent their time outside digging and rolling up electric fence wires. It is finally nice and hot out. One down side to it getting warmer out is the flies. They warned us about them when we started to get them a little bit. But everyday it is like they triple in numbers! We thought of maybe getting some sort of catcher but Daryll says its not worth it.. We just have to suck it up and let them crawl all over us while we are working. Ah, Last we I did lots of bottling and I had very sore wrists from turning all the lids onto the bottles. The four of us went pruning with Darryl and I was in charge of twisting the stakes out of the ground. I tried not to complain but I think my lack of enthusiasm showed in my efforts. I will never live that day down. Daryll's nickname for me is now Canadian Princess. We had a nearby farmer working with us for the week and Daryll introuduced me as Miss Canada 2005. Psh. Luckily, yesterday I had a few hours to redeem myself digging trenches to stick wire into all over a paddock.

Some sad news, Daryll has two beautiful huskies. He usually keeps them chained up when they come over to the farm because they do not stay or listen very well when off the leash. These two huskies happen to be sisters...and you know what happens when two sisters have to spend the whole day tied up to each other...So one of the dogs, Fatty, is well behaved enough to come off the leash...While China moans because it is not fair. Well last night Fatty kept running away on us and this morning Daryll woke up to a phone call from his neighbours saying that his dogs had mauled half a dozen of his sheep. Fatty and China were no where to be found. David and I ended up having the day off and Daryll waited around only to have China return home. Sounds like if a farmer hasn't already shot Fatty, he will have to do it himself. It's sad really, Fatty was the well-trained one of the two. We will see what happens.

Tomorrow David and I are off to check out Yanchep National Park (click on this to check it all out), just 45 minutes south from where we are. We are really looking forward to it. There are a bunch of different walks and caves. I bet its going to be beautiful!

Anyways, nighty time! Will let you know how the weekend goes when we get back.

Holly (and David)

No comments:

Post a Comment