Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Bull Ants Suck!

Hey All!

Time for a blog update!! This past weekend we took Occy's car up north a couple hours to Nambung National Park to visit the famous Pinnacles. It was a sight to see. It really is hard to explain. We just have to show you pictures.. There was formations of limestone everywhere. Big ones, little ones, in between ones. We spent the afternoon there and then headed up to Jurien Bay. When we got there we found out that every accomodation was booked because of the Blessing of the Fleet festival that was going on. This is a festival that is well known in these parts. It is to celebrate the starting of Rock Lobster season and saying farewell to all of the fisherman for the season. So we joined in on the festival for a bit and then head to Cervantes, right next to Nambung National Park. For supper we ordered some fish caught fresh that day and then headed down to the beach to watch the beautiful sunset. We went to bed around 9:30 as it was dark and we had no torch so we couldn't do anything. I woke up around 2 in the morning FREEEEEEZING...luckily it got warmer by 6 oclock and was able to sleep comfortably.
The next morning we packed up and headed out to a beach and walked along it for the morning...collecting beautiful seashells and coral...and then putting the coral back :(. After walking for a bit at this beach we decided to take off to Hangover Bay and spend the afternoon there. It was pretty empty at first, then it seemed like a good place for families to hang out..so it got a bit busy. It also got pretty windy and chilly. So we decided it was probably time to pack up and head back to home. This was a good thing as when we got home we realized that David had burnt his face, neck and back of his legs.
Monday was a day of pruning and yesterday David and I went out to do some fencing. Yes, I am a woman of all trades...haha. Well, I must say though, the fence looks pretty darn good! David finished off with only a few barbwire nicks and a finger full of blood. Blah... I was not so lucky. First of all...after many bending downs to do pruning and bending downs to twitch the fence...my shorts decided to retire themselves...and split...I wanted to cry. I have wrecked all my shorts being out here in some way or another... :(. THEN, let me tell you. They have these HUGE bull ants here. They are about...3 times the size of a normal ant. It's like looking at a little ant through a magnifying glass. They have these huge pinchers and the top of there heads and they are sooooooo UGLY...Massive things...Anyways, we tried to be very careful of them because we had to remove a colony to get to a picket...and after a few rows down I guess one managed to travel along with us and get his revenge. I looked down at my finger to see a DISGUSTING Bull Ant on the tip of my glove, I tried to get him off but he didn't move...so I tried to take the glove off to prevent him from biting but it was too late! OUCH!!!! Boy did it hurt at first...luckily David grabbed the cold water from the UTE and poured it on the bite.. The pain was annoying for a bit and then slowly went away and I could get back to work. I never want to be bit by one of those again. I can now say I know what it feels like to be bit by a Bull Ant.

Today is a not so beautiful day out at the farm. It is windy and cloudy. Catherine is coming out and we will be working in the cool room, I believe. I must go get dressed and ready as Daryll and Catherine could arrive anytime!

Cheers for now,

Holly and David

No comments:

Post a Comment