Sunday, February 14, 2010

Border Security

The last place that we went to visit in New Zealand was the Bay of Islands, in a place called Paihia. It is the part of Australia that is winterless. We had a nice time relaxing by the beach and walking around in the small town. It was nice to relax and sleep in after our early mornings travelling around Australia. Nice way to end our trip to New Zealand. We are going to misssss it!!!!

It is a bit late to tell you that we are back in Sydney because most of you have probably already assumed but we have an interesting story from when we arrived at the Sydney airport. Everything was fine, I had been "randomly selected" to be checked, as I do in every airport, we had a lovely back of the plane to ourselves and the weather was sunny, hot and beautiful. As we were walking through customs are passports were given to two people and we were sent off to follow them in different directions and interrogated. When I was being questioned I assumed (blonde) that he was interested in olives and oil because he wanted to know the name of the owner and where abouts it was in Australia, so I was like "oh, its the olive grove area of Western Australia..." and then he started asking me what jobs I did on the farm, and how much I got paid. Then it clicked, he wants to make sure that I actually did my three months work.....I started to get nervous. He then asked me for the Farm owner's number, so we had to go to David to get it. He looked more nervous than me...Playing with his feet on the ground, biting his nails. After his lady photocopied all his stuff she came out to interview him, asking him the same questions that I was just asked. They went off for 10 minutes or so to call Catherine and we were all in the clear. Poor Catherine, she was bugged with David's visa and now this.

After we had gotten our bags and went into quarantine we saw signs everywhere that said "Border Security is filming today, please let us know if you would not like to be filmed." David and I have watched this show a few times and have enjoyed it. We had hoped maybe our little fiasco had been caught on tape. Two little, helpless backpackers who were honest with their second year visa, haha, guess its not really that crazy to be put on tv.

We have been staying at Nat's house and she has been more than accomodating to us. I do not think we can thank her enough for all that she has done for us. She has even hooked me up with two days of teaching at the school she is also doing casual work for. SHe was my buddy in the morning showing me around the school and everything and she is even across the hall from me. Also, she is Miss Johnson! What a confusion to the students. They all think we are sisters. It's fun, a lovely school. It is too bad I will not be sticking around here to teach. I do miss teaching back home for this reason...there is no air con in most of the schools here...and so on a day like to day, which isn't even their hottest, you are sweating to death while trying to teach. I do not know how the kids can focus when it is soooo hot but they do it!

Yesterday David's dad flew into Sydney, David spent the day with him and I met up with them for dinner. It was pooooouring rain so we got to have a nice refreshing shower as we walked to dinner. We had a good night together and I look forward to our travels together in the next couple weeks. They have been enjoying catching up and taking in the sights of Syndey together.

That is really all for now, I do not know how often we will be able to blog when we go travelling in the next few days but we will be sure to keep track and keep you up to date when we can.

That is all for now,

Holly and David

No comments:

Post a Comment