Saturday, February 6, 2010

Day 19 +20 - Kaikoura to Wellington

After my high from swimming with the seals from the night before we had a nice lie in. We did not take off until 9 today. The 5 of us got nice seats at the front of the bus and David and I decided to not share and have two seats to ourselves. When we went to the next pick up I had an older lady decide to sit in my seat. I think from now on I want to sit alone for the whole 3 hour journey we talked endlessly about everything. She has been travelling her whole life and will be spending the next 5 months travelling around NZ on the KIWI experience bus. She has already done 3 months on it. She told me that I was allowed to give away her age to let my mother and other people who say they are too old to travel that you are never too old. She is 64 years old and has no plans to stop travelling anytime soon. I think its wonderful, she gets on the bus with all the young kids and stays in all the backpacker hostels carrying the exact same thing we carry a big backpack and a little one. I was super impressed. I hope that I am like that when I am her age.

We arrived at Nomads hostel around 5 pm, hoping to get away from the inconvenience at Base Backpackers. Unfortunately, that did not happen. It took about an hour for the guy to check in and after four of us were served for supper we waited about 20 minutes for the last supper to arrive. The forgot about it even though every time they came by us they told us it would be out soon. On a better note, when we got back to our room there was a lovely kiwi girl staying in our room ready for a chat. So we chatted to her for quite a while and then went to bed.

The next day in Wellington we had a bit of a lie in and then went off to spend the day in the coolest free museum. This museum is better than any museum I have ever been to and it amazes me that it was free. What a hay day for teachers!!! If only I was a teacher in Wellington. Haha. There were 5 different floors. Each floor have a totally different theme to the rest. One floor had all the history from not only the Maori culture but the Pacific Islanders cultures’ as well. It was super interesting!! They had a colossal squid on one of the floors, they caught it about 4 years ago when it was feeding on a fish that they had caught. I could go on and on about this museum. I will just put photos up on face book eventually instead.

Wellington is a well nice place. Probably one of our favourite cities in the circuit so far. It has a lot of character and is an individual. Barely any two buildings match, there are a few random buildings in the mix as well. All the people from Wellington that we have met have been really friendly and nice as well.

We are off to River Valley for a couple days tomorrow. We get picked up from a place called Taihape (Thai-happy). The 5 of us are looking forward to it!

Kia Ora,

Holly and David

Yeah Nah - A very confusing phrase for anyone not use to Kiwi Speak. It generally means "I agree with you, that it isn't..."

We're staying at base tomorrow night, they usually have nice rooms.
Yeah Na they're horrible backpackers and the rooms are terrible

No comments:

Post a Comment