Thursday, November 4, 2010

Different Language

Well we said that we would give you a blog overload and we have definitely failed.  This is probably the busiest we have been since we started travelling around Australia.  It's like being back at home.  Yikes.  The weather has been hot here, 30s every day.  Some days I feel like the air conditioner in the house is broken.  It probably just cannot compete with the heat.  

Let's tell you about some of the interesting things.  The other day, Sam took David spearfishing with his new spearfishing gun.  The guys around here are huge into it.  Some of them can hold their breath underwater for like 8 minutes.  I would see a big fish, panic and that would be the rest of my breath gone.  When you spearfish you free dive (so without any apparatus) and sometimes you will see sharks and snakes....Or if you catch something you have to be able to bring it back up to shore as well.  Definitely the non-lazy way of fishing.

As always, immigration/government has decided to be annoying.  The school here had asked me to teach here with a contract for a bit until the end of term.  This meant having to get my visa extended (long story, boring to tell).  Immigration said they would get back to me in 5 business days and it has now been like two weeks.  I have been calling them heaps, getting a new person every time.  I finally gave up.  So my last day of teaching was on Tuesday.  I will be going back to working full time hours at the IGA.   I will miss teaching.  I loved every minute of it.  The last class I was teaching in was a Pre-Primary class (that is kindergarten back home). I was teaching them how to say the letter 'o' and when I came to orange, I said it different from the kids.  One of the boys piped up and said, "that's because you speak a different language!" talking about my accent.  I thought it was pretty cute.

Halloween is celebrated here in the town of Exmouth because without the American influence there would be no town of Exmouth.  Saying that, I did not get candy (or as they say here 'lollies') ready for the kiddies.  We only ended up getting 3 kids anyways.  Sounds like all the kids were out and about getting their lollies though.

I think we will stick around here for a few more weeks and then it will be time to say our goodbyes and travel a bit more, see Australian family for Christmas and then head on our merry way back to the freezing...

That is all for now.  Check back again in the next few days as we will try to have a blog here every day until we leave the house we are housesitting at.  Hopefully get caught up on the well overdue photos as well.

Holly and David

No comments:

Post a Comment