Monday, April 12, 2010

Esperance - One of Australia's best kept secrets!

I am currently sat outside on our verandah overlooking the Southern Ocean with the sunset. I must say of all of the beaches that I have been to in Australia this one tops them all. I am so glad Stephanie had the thought of staying in a bed and breakfast while staying in Esperance. This B&B has wonderful hosts and we have the most amazing views in the town. I could go on and on.

We got up early on Saturday morning for our longer jaunt to Esperance to make it in time for a dentist appointment (they called the day before and bumped it up 2 hours). We got out of the rainy Albany and started the rest of our rain-free holidays. The reason I went to the dentist in Esperance is because its Catherine’s brother. It actually turns out that the host we are staying with goes to him as well and she actually got called today for a reminder that she has a check up tomorrow (so her and I will both be visiting Dr. Sharpe tomorrow.). I found out during my visit to him that I either had to get my tooth pulled or the beginning of a root canal. So tomorrow I will start the process of the root canal. Apparently in Australia root canals cost over 3,000 dollars. I am glad that I will be going back to Canada to get the rest of it done.

Today was a beautiful, warm day with a high of 28 degrees which is good for this time of year (Perth is usually warmer than Esperance and it only had a high of 19). This morning we headed to town and walked around a jetty for a bit, had lunch and spent the rest of the day at Twilight Beach, it is voted the most popular beach in WA. We played around in the mini waves and the spent the rest of our time reading on the beach and being chased by horse flies. Neither of us got burnt as well. Stephanie has not gotten burnt yet on the trip. She is pretty excited about that. Tomorrow we plan to spend the morning and afternoon at the beach in front of the house, White Beach. It is easy for swimming and nice for sitting around and enjoy the scenery. I will also fit the dentist appointment in there somewhere as well.

Yesterday we went to Cape Le Grande National Park to walk up the top of Frenchman’s Peak and see the infamous Lucky Bay. It was a good day to do it. Unfortunately, we did not think that walking up the side of a little mountain would need shoes. We were wrong. It was a lot steeper and did not have the trails that we thought it would have. I ended up doing it barefoot (1 hour each way). It actually was not that hard. It felt nice on the feet. On the way up I also received a phone call from dad so we had a little pit stop with weird looks from passerbys warning us of the tough walk ahead. Haha. We made it to the top and had a nice little lunch and enjoyed the WONDERFUL views, beautiful blue water and white sand beaches. After walking up Frenchman’s Peak we headed to Lucky Bay, which ended up being pretty windy and not really a good place to sit and relax. Not to worry though, the good thing about Esperance is not matter what you will find a bay that will not be windy on any given day. So we toured around the different bays in the National Park to find one that wasn’t windy and then enjoyed the rest of the afternoon there.

The sun has set and it is getting dark. Time to go in for supper. Check back soon as I will blog about what we did on the rest of our trip (as our last blog was pretty rushed).

Holly & Stephanie (and David in spirit)

No comments:

Post a Comment