Friday, April 2, 2010

AHHHH I ALMOST TOUCHED A SNAKE!!!!!!!!!!

Today was the last day of olive picking for me. Darryl let us finish early so we had the afternoon off to relax. I’ve had so much fun getting to know everyone here at the olive farm. Glad that I got to have this experience in Australia.

Holly, Sophia (German Woofer) and I (Stephanie) went to SoulHaven tonight which is a wildlife sanctuary/backpacker hostel. The owner is Dellis and she feeds wild kangaroos everyday. They come up to her house and she throws out seeds for the kangaroos. She has a pet one named Roxy but most of them are quite wild and don’t like to be touched. We got up close and personal with wild kangaroos. One did not like us and was constantly growling at us. It felt just like watching our cats eat at the farm as they all gather in a crowd around the seed and constantly growl while they’re eating if we get too close, plus they spook easily and all jump away if you make any movement towards them. After we fed the kangaroos, we visited with Dellis for awhile. She was very lovely. So friendly and welcoming. It’s fun meeting all these different people on our Australian adventure.

All in all it was a lovely day…and then my Australian adventure turned into my Australian nightmare. Holly and I went outside to gather our laundry from the line outside after visiting the wild kangaroos. It was dark out so we were just grabbing clothes hoping that it was our clothes. All of a sudden I noticed that the line in front of my hands was moving. It took a couple of seconds but it finally dawned on me that I was within a couple of inches of touching a carpet python!!!!!!! I hate snakes with every fibre of my being so I immediately freaked out and started screaming and ran into the house. Holly had no idea what was going on but she was running screaming in front of me. Everyone in the house came outside to see what the commotion was and sure enough there was a python on the wash line. We took lots of pictures and I grabbed a couple more pieces of laundry before I decided that I couldn’t take anymore and didn’t care if the laundry stayed out for the rest of the night. I still have the heebie jeebies and it’s been about a half hour since the incident. I think I may be scarred for life.

Well that is all the excitement that happened today. I hope that the excitement at the end of the night is not repeated in the rest of my time here. Haha

Steph, Holly and David

P.S.
Holly here, it has been fun having Stephanie at the farm for the past week. I have learned that Stephanie is also not quite the farm girl I thought she was. Haha. I guess I was the same way when I first came here in September. She doesn’t like the spiders in the house, she freaks at the occasional mouse and was grossed out by swimming in the dam today J. It has been very nice to show her why I love living here though; the people and the scenery. We have gotten to enjoy some mornings and afternoons just looking out across the bush and watching the sunset. She gets to see what we can only tell you about and show you in pictures.

David has been working for the past couple days at the Roadhouse making the big bucks for our next adventure. Tomorrow Stephanie and I are having our test drive with Darryl to Moora to see if we are allowed to drive his UTE (truck) down South for the next couple weeks. We are pretty nervous about it. I am sure it will be fine though.

Time to plan the easter egg hunt for the WOOFers tomorrow.

Happy Easter!

No comments:

Post a Comment