Saturday, June 12, 2010

Inner Most Thoughts of a Troubled Lamb

Hello Dear Blog readers. This is David, I haven’t blogged for a while so bear with me if I’m a bit Rusty.


So recently we’ve been taken up with lots of work new arrivals and in Holly’s case some trips to the city. This is where she is now, so I am sat out on the swinging chair overlooking the Grove basking in the warm breeze and listening to Sufjan Stevens. It is winter here now and the morning are sometimes bitterly cold. Because the House is not well insulated we have to keep a fire going all night so that the house is bearable in the morning. Even then it is cold, and our short drive to wherever we need to be during the day is spent in layers of jackets and shivering kneecaps. Not in anyway the romantic idea anyone has of Western Australia.
Though during the day from around 10am, or when your blood starts pumping it warms up into a beautiful summers day back home. We still cannot complain about the weather.

Our Pet lamb Betsy is bleeting in the background as she has been since 6 this morning. She’s been fed burped and I keep asking her whats up but she gives me a puzzled look. She seems to have conversations with passing sheep. I amuse myself with thoughts of what she might say…

“I‘ve got these idiots fooled fred, all I have to do is limp around a little and they feed and baby me” or in a lassie fashion “What‘s the weather going to be like?” Lamb says to elder “Well there is an occluded front coming from the east so rain for a short while before turning fine into the evening”

I often like to think she’s a very smart lamb and knows how to manipulate us with her eyes and melt our hearts with her playful nature, but then I remind myself that she tried to eat the trampoline the other day and managed to pierce her lip while trying to eat a metal coiled spring. Silly little lamb. She does try and eat the chair cushions too, and come to think of it anything green. Little Betsy….

So….We got our Van, the Gender confused Bernabara. Bernard in attitude and Barbara in Shape. I was like a little school kid yesterday when the drivers side rear view mirror arrived enabling us to drive it on the road now. We also attempted to change a headlight that was cracked, but discovered that almost the whole front of the vehicle will have to be manipulated to gain access..a job for another time maybe.

Holly has had some more work this week teaching the littlies at Lancelin. She leaves around 7:45 every morning and makes the trip to town. It’s not a bad location to work, the place looks brand new and is less than a minute walk from the beach. Maybe she doesn’t work and simply lays on the beach all day. She comes back around 4 and helps around the farm untill we finish. I think she enjoys it, I can imagine it’s a very draining job but rewarding. I thnk she enjoys the cultural difference in these kids to the ones back home, lets just hope she can convince them to get her in more often so we can save as much as possible.

My job is going well too, not nearly as rewarding, skilled or interesting as Holly’s but I get to meet a lot of people and a free Iced Coffee every day. This is worth it…Iced coffee is a small vice of mine.

So on the calendar there is not much else coming up…It is someones birthday very soon….I wonder…

We leave the farm and our friends around the 7th of July, and go on our merry way north to pastures new. It’s very exciting and very daunting. This is of course our Last big Jolly untill we finish in Australia. The Last one, should be finished up around September October time, and then we will be saving up for our tickets home. Sad times…Though I think by then we’ll both be ready to try something new. Though Western Australia, in Particular Regans Ford has become a second home. And somewhere I think we could both live.

Thankyou for reading, We shall be posting again soon, and with more frequency in the coming weeks and months with having more to talk about.

David & Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment