Thursday, March 26, 2009

Maddy's Visit.

Well, a week has gone by since my last post! That gives me enough time to have more stories to tell. I still do not have a job but I have taken it more serious this week as money is becoming an issue and I am realizing the importance of getting a job soon (I also had to invest in ANOTHER camera....no worries though, I got a 3 year warranty on this one).
On Tuesday night, my friend Maddy (who is from Canada) came to stay with me for a few days. She has been in Perth for the past 6 months at YWAM (Youth With A Mission). It is Discipleship Training School. So yesterday, we went to Manly Beach with two of her friends from the program (a guy from Arizona and a guy from Switzerland) and I showed them all around (from what Kristin has shown me - big thanks to her!). They complained (in a nice way) that I was way to fast of a walker and they could not keep up. I was surprised. I did not think I was in shape at all. They were impressed with how much I knew and thankful. Then last night we went to Hillsong Church for Powerhouse, their college and career group. We walked there and got lost on the way. When we arrived there was only like 10 guys. They explained to us it was guys night and girls night and they had no idea where the girls were so we ended up hanging out with the boys playing video games and ping pong. Our experience at the Hillsong College and Career was not the greatest one. No one really talked to us (except for the college and career pastor...when he was there...lol) and only the non-hillsong people were friendly. so most of the night was pretty awkward. Then another girl arrived and we got to talking. She is only in Sydney for the week. She is also Canadian (from Edmonton). She doesn't know anyone here so I told her she could come and hang out with us. She is pretty fun and we get along well. She. She. She. hahaha.
Today, we went got up early and went to Paddy's market and then went off to the Wildlife Center and the Sydney Aquarium. I do not think they were looking forward to walking there but they did it without complaining (It was only a 20 minute walk...haha). Sandi, the Canadian we met last night, and Monica also came with us. It was really fun and I loved being at the Aquarium even though I had already been there (we got 2 for 1 tickets). We then went to Cargo Bar in Darling Harbour for some 5 dollar pizza. We felt very underdressed..AND the guy who was checking IDs told Sandi that her liscense was not valid for ID because it said OPERATOR'S LISCENSE and not DRIVER'S. We believed that he was just on a power trip or something. Monica left, Maddy and Mikal (the swiss) went to walk around and Sandi and I sat and enjoyed the beautiful scenery at Darling Harbour. Her and I talked for a few hours. It was great to chat with her. We could have talked for hours.

OKAY LAST STORY OF THE NIGHT! We ended up meeting up with Goutham and headed towards Mikal's hostel...we checked earlier and they hadn't booked it yet and he had no phone to get ahold of them and vice versa. We found out that they had arrived there but there was no room for him so he would have to pay the same price for a room as his friends were paying for theirs. The man was rude so I told Mikal he could crash on our couch. While this was happened two backpackers came looking for a place. The man told him he only had 89 dollar rooms avaiable for them. They had mentioned to Mikal that they could night find any open/available hostels. They were young, cute little boys and I wished that I could just tell them they could crash on my couch! So, Goutham and I went to walk Sandi home and Maddy, Mikal and friends went to eat. On the way, we passed the back the backpackers again and I asked them if they had any luck. It was a No. So I jokingly said to Goutham, "You have a big place." and he stopped and said, "Sure, they can stay at my place." So he ran back and stopped them and offered them his place. They were pretty greatful and ended up coming out with all of us to a cafe (we ended up meeting up with everyone). Maybe its a random pointless story! But it made me realize that if I was in their situation I would TOTALLY want someone to do that for me. So I was happy that we could help them! (they were English...Nottingham...Robin Hood...)

So maybe this blog is longer than I had planned! But there is a bit of what has been going on with me!

Holly

2 comments:

  1. Great Updates Holl. Keep them coming! Glad you are having a good trip still... I'm sure there are plenty of stories you have when you get home... so we have a few coffee's that are in order!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comments Trevor! They are really appreciated!

    ReplyDelete