Saturday, April 4, 2009

Royal Treatment.....haha

Okay, I tried to post yesterday but I was having a brain fart as to what to write so I didn't. But Stephanie has insisted that I post asap! So here I go.

The Womens Conference first. It was amazing. The first day I really didn't know what to think. The speakers would really good and I had learned a lot from them. I took lots of notes. But I wasn't really feeling passionate about it. Although I did learn that Bobbie Houston is a genuine passionate woman about God and my judgementalness of Hillsong changed. (Funny story...Lots of people hate Hillsong Church here. They are in the newspaper and all over the internet with really negative stories about them. We met this one really nice guy..then when he found out we went to a church here he asked what church we went to. When we told him Hillsong. That was the end of his niceness and conversation. I was ashamed. But then I realized how God uses Hillsong in soo many great ways!) The next day is where I got really passionate and excited! Hillsong has a whole bunch of different organizations that they support and basically what the Colour Conference was about was bringing the "Sisterhood" together to support different causes not only around the world but in our own cities. One woman can make a difference so just imagine what a bunch of women can do (if they work together). They had a missionary from Uganda and she shared her stories and her passions. I could go on and on about this. Maybe another time. I will blog what all I learned and maybe set a spark in one of you ladies. hahahaha.

Another cool thing I got do to this week was go listen to the question period at the Parliament building here in Sydney. I know, most of you are thinking, how boring. But it was actually quite interesting. I took my friends Monica and David. I had been in contact with Russell Grove (the clerk) and he emailed me back usually right away telling me that he was looking forward to us coming every time! When we arrived we were met by Manuela (his secretary) and Greg Kelly (the Sargent of Arms). Manuela was very friendly and helping. Greg was the one that took us into the room. He had told us to leave the room that we came in, which was a "No entry" door. I also noticed that the public came in from the other door. Watching the members of parliament going at it was actually quite funny, in a non funny way. They constantly bickered back and forth (Saskatchewan's government is weak compared to these guys/ladies). The speaker spent his whole time given members strikes for talking to loud or being rude and out of turn. It sounded like if they got more than 3 warnings something bad would happen. Half way through he reminded the opposition party that they had 4 people on their last warning. Then at the end he read the rules of how they can and cannot speak to each other while in session. He seemed pretty fed up at the end. It was honestly like watching a teacher in a really bad classroom! After it was done, stuff was still going on so we didn't know whether to leave or not. I looked at the Sarg. of Arms and he mouthed to me, what I thought was, "You guys are still here?" So I nodded and giggled. I thought that was a key to leave. But when we were leaving this big security guard told us that we had to go out the general public door when we were leaving....so we did. We ended up OUTSIDE! So we had to go back through security. The security remembered us and just let us go through. On the other side was the Sarg. of Arms waiting for us, confused as to why we went out that door. We told on the big security guy and had good laughs. He was really friendly and good at making convo. He went off to get Russell for us as Russell wanted to see me before I left. Manuela met us and said that he was busy in a meeting but would like to take us out for lunch at the member's restaurant in the parliament building. She is going to give me a call sometime this week. Taking David and Monica, I was worried they would be bored out of their mind. But they loved how they were treated and loved how interesting question period was. Monica is also american so this whole way of doing things was new to her..haha.

There is my update for now.

I will blog more later!

1 comment:

  1. That's awesome! I'm so glad that we got that whole parliament connection going as it's been working out very well for you. haha Wish I could have seen it...it sounds much more interesting than our question periods.

    ReplyDelete